Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Flying - The Most Inconvenient Form of Travel

Apparently a good rule of thumb is that regardless of whether you've been somewhere multiple times you should probably review the baggage policy for each new trip. In the past two years it seems American Airlines decided to take away a free checked bag to Central America. I tend to max out my baggage allowance.  Although it ends up being hideously inconvenient to lug all the unnecessary items around, I am somehow convinced it means I am getting more for my ticket price. Thankfully this time I didn't do that because our otherwise very friendly ticketing agent informed me that I'd be getting not one but two baggage charges for my checked bag because our layover was to be greater than 12 hours.  Ultimately this is a pretty minor problem.  We got an incredibly good deal on airfare ($350 round trip) and who wants to hear complaining from someone taking a trip to somewhere warm and beautiful in the middle of winter? I just really hate flying and when small problems arise at the beginning it makes me a smidge paranoid that things will only get worse.  Naturally not 15 minutes later they announced that our flight may be delayed for mechanical issues.  I was a little sad but tried to maintain perspective. Then they announced our flight was cancelled and I was slightly more annoyed. I was happy to remind myself that this is why I always buy travel insurance through squaremouth.com. Then the gate agent said just kidding and told everyone to relocate to the gate across from us. Haha. It's so funny when airlines mess with your head. Is there an industry with worse customer service? In fairness 99 percent of the airline staff and even TSA agents have been nice to us but their level of inefficiency kind of boggles the mind.

So we made it to Miami and had the pleasure of standing on the curb waiting for our hotel shuttle for 45 mins at 9:00 at night. Again more whining and crying from a person escaping frigid temperatures for a warm weather vacation. Sorry. By the time we got on the the shuttle and to our hotel there wasn't a lot of joy among family members. The hotel was a little on the shady side. I do not recommend the Quality Inn near Miami International Airport. Their breakfast is too late. Their shuttle takes FOREVER. I woke up in the middle of the night to people arguing in a way that sort of made me wonder if I should be calling get front desk or police. Thankfully we were up and out of there at 6:00 am. After more annoyances in the the airport we made it to our gate with hours to spare. An empanada sort of made up for the headaches.

The trip back from San Jose to Cincinnati was pretty uneventful aside from our car seats being left behind.  I'm sort of shocked we ever get any of our luggage after going through customs and having to pick up and recheck all our baggage.  The coffee duty free items made it and we had extra car seats so I guess we'll say this was only a minor snag?  

I don't know why Lottie looks so unhappy.  She just finished a lovely meal at Subway and they were only kidding about cancelling the flight!

Waiting for the flight out of Miami.  Happy to have made it out of the Quality Inn!

Waiting on Solid Rental Car to pick us up.  Pura Vida!!

No comments:

Post a Comment