Sunday, March 1, 2015

Selvatura Hanging Bridges

So we decided to be really on top of things and get up at the crack of dawn to head to Selvatura Park for the hanging bridges.  We were certain this would allow us to see more animals and beat the crowds.  We definitely beat the crowds, but we also ended up walking through the park in a chilly downpour that was probably our worst weather in Monte Verde.  It wasn’t just a the mist you’d expect in a cloud forest.  This was real rain and it was cold.  Good thing we told the girls not to bring extra coats.  And although after Ireland I promised I’d quit being cheap and buy Gabby a waterproof not water resistant coat I didn’t.
Once again Gabby and Lottie were troopers.  They walked without complaint and even seemed to enjoy themselves some of the time.  This made me feel a little better because I was definitely the one pushing for this adventure.  I was dying to do these bridges, but I was also painfully aware that Dan doesn’t love heights.  He assured me that bridges weren’t a problem.  Funny thing, when the bridges have some questionable patches in the grates and sort of sway back and forth as you walk then they become a problem.  Dan probably stayed 20 feet behind us until the girls started feeling bad for him.  They kind of took turns going back to offer support.  He had this amazing look on his face like he could throw up or go into some sort of catatonic state at any moment.  He was excited when we spotted a howler monkey high up in the trees.  We also saw a fancy looking bird.  The person who sold us the tickets threw in a free pass to the hummingbird garden which was pretty amazing.  When hummingbirds buzz right past your head it is a little unnerving.  While we were standing there staring in amazement at the birds a pizote strolled in to drink from the puddles.  In the US I believe this would be similar to a raccoon walking in front of us, but in the US I would have run away and in Costa Rica I took 20 pictures of it.  So all in all not a total loss, but probably a guide or better weather would’ve made the bridges a little more enjoyable. 
Smiling despite her inadequate outerwear.

Offering her dad some moral support ;p

I wish I were a better photographer so you could see the height.

Here's a better perspective.

Look at those patches.  Nothing to worry about!

Pizote

Hummingbirds are incredible.
Howler Monkeys

  

No comments:

Post a Comment