Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Deep Thoughts From the First Two Weeks

So when there’s a cereal or granola bar that I haven’t tried but think sounds interesting, I do not generally go buy it in bulk at Costco because I may in fact hate it.  It has occurred to me recently that perhaps I should consider the same sort of consumer logic when planning travel.  Perhaps when unfamiliar with a place it would be best to try a sample size or a variety pack.  This is the kind of really amazing insight you gain after committing to a month alone with your children in an unfamiliar country.  

Just to be clear I don’t hate Nicaragua.  I actually really like it.  I can with some certainty say I’d be happy to return.  At this particular moment in time I don’t want to to ever go anywhere again with my kids, but that’s because I just had to put them to bed.  Whatever nightly routine we had before is gone.  Bedtime is now an experience that generally makes me want to abandon them and run off to live as a hermit in the woods. The youngest one is especially awful.  She is most unfortunately my twin not just in appearance, but in meanness as well.  The conversation I have become most accustomed to translating on this trip can be summed up as follows: Those sisters don’t look alike, but the youngest one looks exactly like her mom.    


So I maybe should’ve done a week or two less.  I maybe should’ve bounced around a little more.  I also should never have gone the cheap route (this sentence should probably end here) and signed my kids up for two weeks of Spanish lessons sharing a teacher.  I am pretty sure if they’d had separate teachers they would’ve acquired more knowledge and the little one would’ve gotten more attention and stuck with it.  Instead she got frustrated and gave up and it was basically a waste of time.  This was a little disappointing, but nothing can be done now.  I also should’ve solicited more advice from an unsuspecting Cincinnatian who has probably lived to regret responding to my initial semi-creepy stalker-like tripadvisor message.  When it comes to travel advice I am shameless in my requests to people who don’t know me.  This kind woman has been very gracious and I am indebted!  

Trying to stay hydrated in one of the three airports we spent excessive amounts of time in.  See above about being cheap :(  Should've paid extra for a slightly more direct flight!

Luggage spinning is becoming all the rage.

When you can watch My Fair Lady AND Father Goose all in one day of flying you know you've been on planes and in airports for too long :(

I was starting to feel like we'd never leave Houston.

Breakfast at Airport X Managua on our first official day.  This airport far exceeded my low expectations.  

Not bad for $40 a night!

Welcome to the rainy season :)

It was all downhill after the first day of class together :(




No comments:

Post a Comment