Sunday, July 9, 2017

Just Outside of Granada

We were able to take a couple of trips out of the city and they were a welcome escape.  The first trip included dining on quesillo while checking out the view in Catarina.  After checking admiring the view we attempted to visit a place where they make pottery, however they were closed for a fiesta.  Not sure how I wasn't aware, but that weekend was the Feast of San Jeronimo.  We went ahead and moved onto Masaya Volcano to see the lava!!!!  Apparently the lava had been more impressive a couple week before, but I'm not complaining.  It's not everyday you see lava live and in person regardless of the amount.  
Our next trip we went to La Laguna de Apoyo.  This was my favorite day and it will be hard to top on any future trip.  Our host gave us a ride to a Nicaraguan owned resort.  The deal was you had to buy food to use their facilities.  I was happy to accommodate.  We were dropped off in the morning and stayed till dinner time.  The most crowded it got was about 10 other people.  The lake is warm and calm.  I hate swimming.  I refuse to get in pools or the ocean unless forced, but I could’ve spent all day in this water.  I told the girls I think it was the most I’ve swam since I was Gabby’s age.  If we come back to Nicaragua this place has to be on the itinerary!  Sadly I didn’t reapply sunscreen (shocking) and paid for it dearly for the next week.  The only other negative was having to listen to an Evangelical preacher tell me all about his experience being kidnapped in Guatemala.  Just the kind of tale every mom traveling alone with her kids wants to hear.  

The last trip outside the city we did was back to a place near Catarina for a better view.  Mercedes and Carlos took us to try some atole, which was AMAZING!!!! We then headed to a playground, not to be confused with a park.  The kids ran around for a while before we went on a hike in what I believe was a National Park.  The views just kept getting better.  The kids were rewarded with more playground time afterwords and then dinner out.  I am so grateful for this third escape from the city.  Mercedes and Carlos once again went above and beyond!!!!
Eating quesillo.  So this food is a tortilla with onions, cheese and sour cream that you basically suck out of a plastic bag.  

Stunning view.  It's easy to see why all the tourists hang out here.  

I am still sad I didn't buy a coffee mug while we were shopping :(

Apparently it is better to go at night, but I was too tired for night journeys.  Still pretty awesome to see lava glowing.  

After making our ridiculous purchases.

Relaxing on the dock.

This was as crowded as it got.

Atole!!!!!  Yum yum yum!!!!

This bridge was totally safe...maybe

Awesome hike!

Lottie with the lights of Granada in the background.

Keeping up her skills

No comments:

Post a Comment