Friday, March 15, 2013

Enjoying Nature in Pavones: Frogs and Ants


So our day started fairly innocently with a trip to the tadpole beach.  That is how Gabby refers to the river that is swimming with tadpoles and itty bitty frogs.  It’s not one of my favorite spots because it creeps me out when I think little things are nibbling at my toes.  The creepy tadpoles always seemed to be right near my feet and I promise I could feel them chewing on me.  I also cannot stand the seaweed like substance on the bottom, but its hard to argue with a place that keeps your kids entertained for hours.  I do feel a little bad for the poor tadpoles who got caught and then stuck in an empty coconut where they probably ended up half cooked.  I’m sure their population isn’t hurting too much.  Who knew later on I’d have another run in with the tadpoles? 
After the beach we went on a hunt for the perfect machete for Dan to bring home as a souvenir with a matching leather case of course.  While at the Super Comte it started pouring.  Driving here is treacherous enough without weather complicating it.  Luckily we took so long picking out a matching machete and case, some faux crocs for the girls, and of course an ice cream treat that we were able to wait out the rain.  I am thinking that the guy spraying down the roads as part of the slightly inconvenient road work might have been sent home early that day? 
I was slightly panicked when we got home and our water wasn’t on, but this was a quick fix.  Once again hooray for the amazing people who work on this property!!!  Dan took the girls to the pool while I started dinner.  When I started filling the pot for pasta (sometimes you just need a break from beans and rice) I saw what I thought was a bug on the pot.  I assumed it was just one I hadn’t used recently so perhaps an ant had crawled in, but I assumed wrong.  I started to fill the pot again and a bunch of black things with tails were sputtering out of the faucet into my pasta pot.  Apparently the tadpoles just couldn’t get enough of us.  Perhaps bad karma for me not protecting their friends at the beach?I am pretty devastated that in my state of shock I didn’t take pictures.  I am totally patting myself on the back for not flipping out.  I washed the pot and refilled it as though nothing were wrong.  That is pretty out of character for me. 
Later that evening I think I deserved a gold star for composure.  I got up to turn out lights when I was done reading before bed and I noticed some black stuff on the wall.  Upon closer inspection I realized it was ants.  As I walked I saw more and more of them.  Apparently a little unseasonable rain drove these suckers out in hoards.  I refrained from hysterical shrieking.  I may have had a little panic in my voice when I called Dan to come look but otherwise kept calm.  We sprayed and cleaned up ants and relocated the girls to our bed because apparently they are so sweet the ants liked their room the best.  HAHAHAHA!  What’s really crazy is that they completely disappeared as we started killing them off.  They are pretty fascinating and super annoying little creatures.  It was a good reminder of why I visit here, but don’t think I have what it takes to ever stay forever ;p   
Gabby's first catch of the day



The coconut of death for tadpoles

Nighttime visitors

Relocated children.  How is it possible they take up an entire king size bed?

Toucan sighting at the pool

More monkeys pointed out by Freddy!

Gabby being taken for a quick ride

No comments:

Post a Comment