Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Weird Weather

So basically Saturday was a day of waiting and vegging out.  We dropped my mom off early and then came back for breakfast.  The weather in Alajuela was chilly (relative to here) and the skies looked a little ominous so the girls and I just stuck around the hotel.  I considered going to the zoo, but the absurdity of paying to see animals in cages on this trip was too much.  I would’ve liked to venture out near the volcanoes, but the memory of our fender bender coming down the mountain last year was enough to make me cave into requests for movies.  We were literally the only people at the bed and breakfast (the owner had to go out for a while) and the day dragged, but then it was finally time to pick up Dan!!!  He was given a brief amount of time to check out the hotel before we set out for food.  I am pretty sure in this one meal I consumed more meat than I have in the last two weeks combined.  And it was delish!  I am not committing to this vegetarian lifestyle anytime soon, although I might be willing to cut back a little. 

Like I said the weather in Alajuela was a little chilly.  I would call it Michigan weather.  As the night went on it got kind of eerily windy.  I admit wind freaks me out, so maybe I was just imagining it to be worse than it was.  When I went to pick up guest number two well after dark it seemed like it was blowing pretty hard.  In the morning we found a lot of the potted plants blown over and the bar area was sort of a mess.  After we returned to the yellow house we were told there had been a fair amount of rain and an earthquake while we were gone.  I guess I will just be happy we only had wind up north. 

This time we made the drive in 7 hours.  This included a VERY brief look at our crocodile friends and an interesting stop at a grocery store.  We were swarmed by some free spirited americans who are really giving us all a good name (please read sarcasm).  We did not however stop for any food so everyone was a little tired and hungry by the time we got here.  Things only improved when we found a scorpion on the carry-on bag full of crafts that had been left here.  This time it was alive.  Thanks to some bug spray and a broom it didn’t last for long.  This was slightly less traumatic than Dan’s passport being “hidden” in Lottie’s packpack (that is what she calls it).  Thankfully after these two events the men folk took the kids off to the pool so I could prepare some dinner and get a few staples like bread and guacamole started for the next day.  Even more thankfully Dan didn’t forget to stop at the duty free shop on his way out of the airport ;)

So now its back to life at the beach.  Yesterday we ventured out to Punta Banco again.  Lottie is a little more adventurous and went out to jump in the waves with Dan.  Gabby who clearly takes after me preferred to stay up on the sand and look for rocks.  Everyone probably got a little too much sun.  We had a nice picnic and met an adorable dog, and still made it back in time for the fruit truck.  Success!  Even better we saw monkeys in the trees when we got home.  Now if only I could find a sloth!!!!!!

The internet is too slow for pictures at this point, so check back later and I'll get some more posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment