Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Back Online!!!

Ok so I suppose if inconsistent internet access is the worst problem I have on this trip then I really can't complain.  I feel like I have been in some kind of withdrawal.  Was there really a world before google and FaceTime???? 
So yesterday in an effort to save my children's skin, mine is probably a lost cause at this point, we stuck to the pool.  I am pretty sure this was the worst idea ever.  At least when we go to the beach we get in a short car nap on the way to or from.  The pool just requires walking back and forth on a gravel road with two tired kids.  I informed them after a couple tantrums that we'd not be returning to the pool till another adult arrives.  Who knew taking two kids to the beach on my own would be simpler than a pool?
Much to our delight the fruit and vegetable man arrived in the afternoon.  We stocked up on bananas, watermelon, avacados etc.  I generally ignore all things financial but I must say the change in the value of the dollar has finally hit home to me.  I think the exchange rate used to be close to 530 colones per dollar and I believe now most places use 490:(  Cry me a river right?
The girls were flat out exhausted by dinner.  The little devil child threw a tantrum and went and curled up in one of the beds we aren't currently using while I was cooking.  This called for an evening wind down with The Princess and the Frog.  My dear eldest child is desperate to befriend all the people who work on the Finca and begged Freddy to watch the movie with us ;)  He broke it to her gently that he had to go home.
The girls were gone asleep by like 700 pm as usual.  We have two gorgeous dogs who stay by our house who last night about gave me a heart attack.  They told me it was good to have the dogs for security.  Last night in the middle of the night these two dogs and it sounded like 100 others were going completely insane right outside our windows.  My initial irrational thought was that surely some criminal was about to break in.  I then reminded myself that I am not at home and so my second irrational thought was that a jaguar was certainly outside ready to jump through the window and maul me.  Neither of these were the case.  This morning I was informed that the dogs were chasing a stray cow or horse.  I also saw a light come up and heard the gate close, which was apparently Freddy coming to fix the problem.  That had almost scared me more than the dogs.  Somehow my children slept through this whole drama.  How its possible that Lottie never sleeps through the night at home, but is completely oblivious to this ruckus all of 5 feet from her room is COMPLETELY beyond me.  I guess once again this is not something to complain about? 
Crafts while mom makes breakfast! 

The "baby" pool

Just some perspective on driving.  That in front of me is a "bridge."  Across the bridge is a truck full of horses.  They were kind enough to move so I could pass.

A fancy bridge

heading through the mts
Here's hoping the internet holds out!!!!!  We are on our way to the beach again today and then home for more beans and rice and fruit this evening :D  If you don't hear from us for a while it's because the technology isn't holding up.  No worries!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! It looks like you all are having a fabulous time :) See you all soon!

    ReplyDelete