Friday, February 22, 2013

Costa Rican Construction "Detours"

I am completely serious when I say I have lost track of days.  I am undecided as to whether that’s good or bad.  It might not work out so well for people depending on me to retrieve them from airports ;)  I spent the whole morning thinking today was Thursday and when I looked at my phone I had to text Dan to be sure that it wasn’t playing a trick on me.  I guess that’s what happens when life revolves around beaches and beautiful scenery.  Must be tough right?
The big excitement for this morning was going to swim in another river.  This time we found a Scarlet Macaw in the trees right near where we went swimming.  The river itself is very low, which I assume because we are here in the dry season.  It was also crawling with tadpoles and itty bitty little frogs.  The girls entertained themselves trying to catch them.  I tried to take deep breaths and not be completely creeped out by the thought of all these little creatures swimming right around me.  Sometimes I really wonder how I ended up down here.  I appreciate nature, but generally speaking like it more from a distance.  I get incredibly stressed by my kids being dirty, and that’s pretty much a constant state for them down here.  It’s always good to challenge yourself right?  There are all sorts of rules that don’t apply down here.  I eat vegetables and watermelon, both of which I avoid like the plague at home.  I live with geckos and bugs inside the house and don't bother trying to get them out.  I also accepted that my children would not be washing their hands before lunch even though they’d just been touching tadpoles.  GROSS!!!! 
On the way back from our swim we met with a slight roadblock.  I should’ve known when on the way they were dumping dirt onto the roads that things might not be passable on our return.  Conveniently there was a large pile right at the start of a “bridge.”  I briefly considered turning on the 4WD and seeing if we could make it.  I then remembered that I do in fact value my life and my children’s.  The thought of driving off a bridge ranks up there with some of my other greatest fears, so we backed up.  All I could think of was last year when a work crew tried to tell us to basically ford a river as a detour.  Luckily this time is was just a matter of heading down a slightly narrower dirt road and driving around.  Had I been thinking clearly I’d have taken some pictures ;)
I know we looked this up last year but I have no clue what it is.  Similar to eating a pomegranate but very different taste.

Reading in the morning.

Sleeping in...till 630 ;)

Macaw

TONS of tadpoles.






No comments:

Post a Comment